Plan for the release of DE

Announcements or News for the Aus/NZ clan
GrandNagus
Site Admin

Plan for the release of DE

Post by GrandNagus » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:35 am

Any thoughts on the plan for the release of DE?

There are a couple things to consider:
  • Do players want to immediately use DE on release?
  • Will everyone in the community own a copy?
  • Are the new civs added to the pool right away?
  • Can the maps be ported?
Other than civs, the zone is platform agnostic but personally I think it makes sense to avoid a situation where the community is fractured and half the players are on a totally different platform.

Welcome any thoughts.

Shed

Re: Plan for the release of DE

Post by Shed » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:47 am

Do players want to immediately use DE on release? I think we need to wait and see how launch day goes and how the game is, we also need to consider how many people are going to purchase the game asap (I have a feeling this may be the majority of the zone, minus a few people who have computers that will not be able to run the game).

Will everyone in the community own a copy? Answered above, but I think if DE is successful and atleast up to the level of UP we should move the community over. This way hopefully we can bring in more players especially those from the Au/NZ and Asia

Are the new civs added to the pool right away?
If we adopt DE then yes, however I think there will be some teething pains in working out how good the civs are etc etc and how they balance on different maps

Can the maps be ported? I believe yes, I have tried importing the mappack in to DE and I can see the .rms files in the custom maps menu, whether the maps will work straight away without some script changes remains to be seen.

Overall from my impression of the beta the game plays really well (in terms of networking) and with some further optimization on the performance side hopefully we have something that can challenge UP. My only concerns are the unit graphics, but hopefully there will be some dev changes or some mods that will fix this issue

robo

Post by robo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 am

I think you definitely want to wait at least a month before thinking about switching to DE.

Playing random games here and there for fun is fine, but I doubt that anything will run smoothly around release.

GrandNagus
Site Admin

Post by GrandNagus » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:21 am

I have only played 1v1s so far, but honestly all the games have been completely stable.

GrandNagus
Site Admin

Post by GrandNagus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:16 am

Well this post aged like milk.